Short Family Tree

a global one name study on the history and genealogy of the short surname


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 38» Next»     » Slide Show

History of 112 Abel Smith Street, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND

William and Jane SHORT resided at 112 Abel Smith Street, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND until he (William) committed suicide by cutting his own throat on the 26 May 1906.

This cottage is an important historic structure in the context of the street. It is among the oldest timber structures remaining on Abel Smith Street and is an important survivor of the era in which it was built. It is one of three cottages on Abel Smith Street that make up a small precinct of similar cottages. They are relatively typical of the working class housing that was once predominant in this part of Te Aro.

The house at 112 Abel Smith Street has had a quiet history, typical for a residence in this area. It is a representative example of the modest workers cottages that typify pre-1900 European settlement in the Wellington region.

The site that this house occupies was originally part of town acre 117, one of the original 11oo town sections created during the settlement of Wellington. The property was purchased by William Short in 1874. It appears that 112 Abel Smith Street is the original building constructed on this site, and was built by 1892 as it appears on the 1892 Thomas Ward map.

William Short remained the owner until his death in 1906 when the property was transferred to his wife, Jane. In 1907 Jane remarried to John William McLean Field.

In 1909 Jane and John were named as the joint owners of the property. In 1939 the property was transferred to Thomas Field Crichton and Richard Edward Tripe as executors. Immediately it was transferred to Catherine Mary Crichton. It appears that she remained the owner until 1990 when it was transferred to Russell Feist and Keith Matthews as executors, and in 1993 it was sold to Uptown Properties. In 2006 the property was transferred to Aro Restoration Limited.

Linked toJane BRUCE; John William Mclean FIELD; Captain William SHORT

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 38» Next»     » Slide Show