Early Butchering days on the lower Clarence when Bushgrove was a thriving and busy commercial centre
Mr. J. N. SHORT started butchering about 1903. His first venture was shipping meat to Sydney in conjunction with Mr. W. A. ZUILL, later M.L.A. for Clarence in the Legislative Assembly. The carcases were shipped in calico bags from the Lower Southgate wharf by North Coast Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. boats, Kalatina, Kyogle and City of Grafton.
He then built the Bushgrove butchery. A painting my Mr. E. SHORT of the shop, established in 1905, is reproduced above.
It was an up-to-date shop with refrigeration and smallgoods plant. The shop, at its peak, slaughtered, 24 bullocks, besides mutton and pork. The sheep came by boat from Sydney.
Mr. Alf ATTWATER was smallgoods man. Mr. Harold DOUST of Alice Street, Grafton, started work in the business in 1907. Harold ARCHER was also on the staff.
There was a large corned meat trade. No brine pumps were used. He bought his brine recipe from Ramornie meat works.
Mr. SHORT and "Bunny" OSBORNE built a motor launch, the Phena, which was used on the Lower Clarence meat run. This boat was later sold to the harbour and river works at Ashby.
There were also nine cutting carts which delivered all over the Mid Clarence. On special occasions, meat was displayed in the front window at night. All premises in Bushgrove at this time had gas plants in their shops, which effectively lit the town.
At this time, five general stores were opperating in Bushgrove, as well as a skating rink and picture show. First and second grade football and cricket teams were fielded. The Bushgrove band was famous.
The late Ted INMAN was slaughterman after he left Ramornie meat works about 1911. The record time for skinning a bullock at Ramornie was held by Mr. J. Slack, who beat Mr. INMAN by one knife stroke. The time, 3 1/2 minutes.
The shop changed hands a couple of times and then was destroyed by fire. A new brick shop was built. It now stands but is closed for business.
Mr. SHORT had another shop in Lawrence which, together with the Burshgrove Private Hospital, he later moved to Ulmarra where he carried on butchering until her retired to Grafton, his three sons taking over the business.
|Owner of original
|The Daily Examiner, Grafton
|472 x 500
|Harold DOUST; Ernest John SHORT; John Newton SHORT; William Arthur ZUILL